Monday, February 27, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 07 Organic Bust Project (Game Res Mesh Texture Bake)

3D Class S2 Class 07 Organic Bust Project (Game Res Mesh Texture Bake)


For this assignment we were supposed to retopo our bust and make our low poly mesh. I decided to do the retopo in maya again and this time I'm starting to understand things a lot more now. I messaged Nick to ask how much of a polycount I should have and he said about 15 thousand polys and I definitely stayed within that budget. Images below.

Start of retopo



Finished Retopology(14,000 Tris)



Iray Renders






















I think this was one of the first times I really understood retopo and baking and where I would need things to have good bakes. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Monday, February 20, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 06 Organic Bust Project (Adding Hard Surface Element)

3D Class S2 Class 06 Organic Bust Project (Adding Hard Surface Element)


This week we were assigned to take our orgainic part of our model and make hard surface parts for it. My model had a ton of hard surface parts for it and they were really complicated. This part of the assignment was not easy at all. I first tried making things in fusion, but that wasn't working out for me, so I got some help from the other artists and they pointed me back to maya which really helped me out. There is still a bunch that I don't understand about zbrush and hard surface, but that will come with more practice. Don't forget that I was referencing models from Jordu Schell. Screenshots below.

Started in maya




















Took my stuff from maya into zbrush and then dynameshed and did the difference dynamesh a lot to get what I needed done.





















Making the arm piece in maya then brought into zbrush and did the difference dynamesh.


Final Comp of Sculpt


Closer up shots






Can't remember how long this took me, but I had a bunch of fun with it and forgot to turn my tracker back on.

Monday, February 13, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 05 Organic Bust Project (High Resolution Modeling Stage)

3D Class S2 Class 05 Organic Bust Project (High Resolution Modeling Stage)


So for this assignment we were tasked with creating a bust of a character that had actually been made traditionally in 3d. The bust I made is from an artist named Jordu Schell and he made this like scifi looking demon thing that looks really awesome. The reason I choose this model was because it had some really awesome hard surface in it, but it also had some crazy scaring and stuff going on like that and I really wanted to work on something really hard. I felt like this was a really hard choice and would really push me to do a good job and it has. When first starting this assignment, it was extremely over wealming. I didn't know where to begin, but I jumped into it and started sculpting and things got easier the more I kept going. Sometimes you just have to jump into it and get things started. Over all, really fun project.

These are the references I used from Jordu Schell.








Here are my renders.























I went back and changed some things and added a few more details and took better renders.


























This assignment took me about 11 hours.

Monday, February 6, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 04 Hard Surface Modeling Project (Substance Painter Section)

3D Class S2 Class 04 Hard Surface Modeling Project (Substance Painter Section)


So this week we were tasked with re-topologizing our high rez mesh and making a low res mesh and baking our maps in substance painter. This re-topology was not easy what so ever. I had such a hard time trying to get my high res out of zbrush. I lost about 3 hours trying to get my high res meshes out of zbrush. Don't know why decimation was acting weird for me, but it took me forever. For this assignment I had so many issues to say the least. Exporting stuff wasn't working. Computer freezing multiple times which caused so much time lost. Retopo in maya is so laggy. Next time I think I'm going to try retopo in a different program and see if it is better or worse. I'm just not liking this quad draw feature. Everytime I use it I end up getting faces underneath other faces and I'm not sure why. I also had so much trouble welding verts at the end of this project I had to go back and weld most of them by hand. The polycount we were supposed to have was 6000 tris, but since I made the gun all one piece mine ended up being around 9000. There is still so much I need to learn about retopo and good topology and when can you have pieces floating on other pieces etc. I was really happy with how my gun came out last week, but this week was really frustrating to say the least. I posted my images last week to the facebook group Ten Thousand Hours and received a few likes on my post. What was really awesome was someone complemented me and said that I'm an awesome modeler. It just kinda felt like I moved backwards this week. Screenshots below. Enjoy.