Monday, March 27, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 10 Environment Project

3D Class S2 Class 10 Environment Project


For this assignment we were tasked with creating all our high maps and game res meshes and uvs and baking. This was a really hard assignment because now I'm starting to think that I really scope bombed hard here and I'm just trying to get things finished right now.


All my bakes so far














Unreal Shots



Monday, March 20, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 09 Environment Project

3D Class S2 Class 09 Environment Project


For this part of the assignment we were assigned to make a part of a scene for vr and have it look like job simulator. I wanted to try and make something cool so I got an image of something I like and I'm going to try and recreate a small bit of it on a smaller scale. Right now I'm trying to recreate on a smaller scale Alexandre Christmann's Post-Apo Environment. I'll leave an image of it done at the bottom of the post. There is still a lot more I need to do with my scene right now, but I feel like it is in an alright place to start to get the ball rolling. I also need to talk to Nick and get some critique from him.


Alexandre Christmanns reference image




















What I have so far















Monday, March 6, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 08 Organic Bust Project (Textures, Materials and UE4 Display)

3D Class S2 Class 08 Organic Bust Project (Textures, Materials and UE4 Display)


This week we were assigned to texture our Bust and then put it in unreal engine with materials. Texturing this guy was a lot of fun and very challenging. I think overall I did a pretty good job of capturing the likeness of Jordu Schell's bust. I think that my teeth could be better, but that just comes with practice because I messed with them a whole bunch. This assignment was so much fun.


Jordu Schell Reference





Substance Painter







Unreal Engine














Substance Painter rework



Unreal Engine rework








Extremely fun assignment. Enough said





Monday, February 27, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 07 Organic Bust Project (Game Res Mesh Texture Bake)

3D Class S2 Class 07 Organic Bust Project (Game Res Mesh Texture Bake)


For this assignment we were supposed to retopo our bust and make our low poly mesh. I decided to do the retopo in maya again and this time I'm starting to understand things a lot more now. I messaged Nick to ask how much of a polycount I should have and he said about 15 thousand polys and I definitely stayed within that budget. Images below.

Start of retopo



Finished Retopology(14,000 Tris)



Iray Renders






















I think this was one of the first times I really understood retopo and baking and where I would need things to have good bakes. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Monday, February 20, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 06 Organic Bust Project (Adding Hard Surface Element)

3D Class S2 Class 06 Organic Bust Project (Adding Hard Surface Element)


This week we were assigned to take our orgainic part of our model and make hard surface parts for it. My model had a ton of hard surface parts for it and they were really complicated. This part of the assignment was not easy at all. I first tried making things in fusion, but that wasn't working out for me, so I got some help from the other artists and they pointed me back to maya which really helped me out. There is still a bunch that I don't understand about zbrush and hard surface, but that will come with more practice. Don't forget that I was referencing models from Jordu Schell. Screenshots below.

Started in maya




















Took my stuff from maya into zbrush and then dynameshed and did the difference dynamesh a lot to get what I needed done.





















Making the arm piece in maya then brought into zbrush and did the difference dynamesh.


Final Comp of Sculpt


Closer up shots






Can't remember how long this took me, but I had a bunch of fun with it and forgot to turn my tracker back on.

Monday, February 13, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 05 Organic Bust Project (High Resolution Modeling Stage)

3D Class S2 Class 05 Organic Bust Project (High Resolution Modeling Stage)


So for this assignment we were tasked with creating a bust of a character that had actually been made traditionally in 3d. The bust I made is from an artist named Jordu Schell and he made this like scifi looking demon thing that looks really awesome. The reason I choose this model was because it had some really awesome hard surface in it, but it also had some crazy scaring and stuff going on like that and I really wanted to work on something really hard. I felt like this was a really hard choice and would really push me to do a good job and it has. When first starting this assignment, it was extremely over wealming. I didn't know where to begin, but I jumped into it and started sculpting and things got easier the more I kept going. Sometimes you just have to jump into it and get things started. Over all, really fun project.

These are the references I used from Jordu Schell.








Here are my renders.























I went back and changed some things and added a few more details and took better renders.


























This assignment took me about 11 hours.